Subject: Re: detecting ssh
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@goathill.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/12/2001 14:56:21
On 11 Sep 2001 12:35:00 -0500, Johnny Lam wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 10:56:01AM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
>>
>> I'm creating package for keychain and before I'll submit a PR I'd
>> like to know how to test if there is ssh-agent or not.
>>
>> Should I just do
>>
>> .if !exists(/usr/bin/ssh-agent)
>> DEPENDS+=	...
>> .endif
>>
>> or should I check for the operating system version and assume that
>> after certain release there is ssh included in the operating system?
>> Which is the "right" way to do this?
>
> Feature tests are always more reliable than OS version comparisons.  The
> Makefile fragment you coded above looks fine.

Shouldn't one check for /usr/pkg/bin/ssh-agent or some other
mechanism also? Especially such as with 1.5.1 where the included
ssh doesn't have the ssh2 compatibility patch and openssh from
pkgsrc needs to be installed to work with ssh2? /usr/bin/ssh* may
have been removed or otherwise worked around.