Subject: sysutils/sh-utils conflicts with devel/id-utils
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/09/2001 22:25:24
i installed id-utils a few months ago and have used it a lot.  it's a
very good pkg.  i installed sh-utils on a whim earlier today, and was
dismayed to see

pkg_create: Overwriting /usr/pkg/bin/gid - pkg id-utils-3.2 bogus/conflicting?

as the installation of sh-utils was registered (see pr pkg/13906).
the gnu id program (renamed to gid during installation) is next to
useless for me, whereas the gid program from id-utils is incredibly
useful.

my first reaction was to try to find out the magic by which, eg,
cross/binutils is installed in /usr/pkg/cross instead of /usr/pkg and
to try to convince sh-utils (which i had promptly pkg_deleted) under
/usr/pkg/gnu, since it seemed better to me to segregate the gnu
"tools" from regular programs that i might use more often.  if i could
easily remove the g from the front of the gnu names and stuff the
binaries in a separate place, that would be great.  i'd much perfer an
optional path component to using a different name.

is the "genericization" of that particular piece of "magic" easily
extractable?  i know it would make things "difficult" for binary pkgs,
but it seems to me that it might be a nice feature.

my interim solution for this particular conflict was to pkg_delete
both pkgs, install sh-utils, delete the (g)id stuff and the
appropriate lines in /var/db/pkg/id-utils.../+CONTENTS, and then to
install id-utils again.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|