Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/automake
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/28/2001 00:18:53
On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Robert Elz wrote:
>   | fix dependency in automake after autoconf upgrade
>   | Noted by Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi> in PR 13792
>
> how can that possibly be the right thing to do?   If automake worked
> with autoconf 2.13 before autoconf was upgraded, it will still work
> with autoconf 2.13 after autoconf was upgraded, surely.
>
> That is, if I had an older autoconf installed, and now want to install
> automake, why do I have to upgrade autoconf now?  (As opposed to why
> I might want to for some other reason).
>
> I'd suggest backing out that change, it looks totally wrong, dependancies
> should only ever be updated when something about the dependant package
> requires a new version (or has only ever been tested on a new version)
> of the dependancy.  That clearly isn't what happened here.

Um, did you look at the change at all? The dependency was changed from
autoconf-2.13 to autoconf>=2.13. This allows people to have either version
installed, and does *not* force anyone to upgrade. Note I didn't apply the
fix that was in the PR. :)

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html