Subject: Re: USE_X11 and buildlink
To: Mario Kemper <magick@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/26/2001 10:16:37
On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Mario Kemper wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 09:50:38AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Mario Kemper wrote:
> >
> > > 2. Nothing sets CFLAGS+=${X11BASE}/includes, neither USE_X11 nor
> > >    USE_X11BASE. Why?
> > >    LDFLAGS is set correctly by both options.
> >
> > Imake and configure, each, usually take care of that. Imake programs
> > don't need to be buildlinked, and configure programs take arguments
> > such as "--with-x=..." or "--with-x-includes=...". The reason we set
> > LDFLAGS is because so few compilers recognize "-Wl,-R" options,
> > therefore few programs set them. [For programs that use "libtool", we
> > shouldn't have to set them at all, though.]
>
> Not all x11 packages use imake or configure. They have a simple
> makefile but usually honor CFLAGS and LDFLAGS being set externally.

Are you working on a package that uses BSD make, and "CFLAGS+=", or
one that fails to set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS at all, going instead with
the system defaults in "/usr/share/mk/sys.mk"? Both are fairly rare,
(which answers your question -- modifying bsd.pkg.mk for their benefit
would cause more problems than it solves). More commonly, you have to
either pass in custom flags (comms/kermit), or patch the makefile
anyway (www/wwwoffle).

Frederick