Subject: Re: Kerberos not linked with proper libs on ELF? [was: Re: qpopper
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/25/2001 11:14:08
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > > The list is much longer, and includes symbols from libcrypt, libroken,
: > > libresolv, etc. Running 'ldd' on /usr/lib/libkrb.so shows no other libs.
: > > I can only guess that's the problem, maybe one of our Kerbero gurus can
: > > have a look here.
: >
: > Do shared library dependencies work on all platforms?
:
: Yes for ELF, I'm not sure for a.out but I think so.
: Todd please correct me if that's wrong.

Yes, they do work on a.out.

The only difference between a.out and ELF is that missing dependencies on
a.out (where someone forgets to link a library with its dependency) are not
noticed until runtime, whereas GNU ld notices the undefined symbols at link
time.

However, in order to make sure that programs properly link in all needed
system libraries (even for NOPIC platforms, where shared objects do not
exist), we avoid using dependencies on libraries in /usr/lib.  This forces
programs to link in all necessary libraries from /usr/lib, so even
statically-linked NOPIC platforms will still be able to compile and link
such programs.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5.2 available on CD-ROM soon!  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/