Subject: Re: Proposal: buildlink for X11
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@c35.jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2001 08:29:22
On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 04:35:38PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Johnny Lam wrote:
>
> > A possible solution for this is to create a shadow directory of symbolic
> > links under ${LOCALBASE} of the true X11R6 headers and libraries in
> > ${X11BASE}.  Call this shadow directory "${BUILDLINK_X11_DIR}".  Then
> > if a package may be made to look for X11R6 files under ${BUILDLINK_X11_DIR},
> > then it avoids the problem noted above, and thus may be strongly-
> > buildlinked.
>
> That would really suck.
>
> What's the point? Whether you build with -Ishadow-tree/include or
> -I/usr/X11R6/include, the pre-processor is going to have access to
> everything in /usr/X11R6 either way.

No, the pre-processor would _only_ have access to what is in the _base_ X11R6
installation.  The distinction is important.

> More to the issue, the way I understand it, buildink is supposed to be
> addressing a deficiency of GNU configure. "xmkf" and "imake" don't pick
> up random things that happen to be found in /usr/X11R6/include, so what's
> the problem?

The fact is that the vast majority of software in pkgsrc uses GNU configure.
Whether it's a deficiency or not that it tries to make the most featureful
software by using everything available in the environment is debatable, but it
is usually a concern only for software packagers that desire building the same
package consistently regardless of what's in the environment.  But that's what
we do in pkgsrc.

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>