Subject: Re: Proposal: buildlink for X11
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@c35.jgrind.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/20/2001 16:35:38
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Johnny Lam wrote:

> A possible solution for this is to create a shadow directory of symbolic
> links under ${LOCALBASE} of the true X11R6 headers and libraries in
> ${X11BASE}.  Call this shadow directory "${BUILDLINK_X11_DIR}".  Then
> if a package may be made to look for X11R6 files under ${BUILDLINK_X11_DIR},
> then it avoids the problem noted above, and thus may be strongly-
> buildlinked.

That would really suck.

What's the point? Whether you build with -Ishadow-tree/include or
-I/usr/X11R6/include, the pre-processor is going to have access to
everything in /usr/X11R6 either way. More to the issue, the way I
understand it, buildink is supposed to be addressing a deficiency of
GNU configure. "xmkf" and "imake" don't pick up random things that
happen to be found in /usr/X11R6/include, so what's the problem?

Frederick