Subject: Re: Proposal: buildlink for X11
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@c35.jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/20/2001 12:40:40
On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 09:37:18PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Johnny Lam wrote:
> > 	Comments?
>
> I just have a very basic understanding of buildlink, and I didn't follow
> NetBSD too much in the last few weeks, but one question arises: Your mail
> doesn't mentin X11PREFIX at all. Will it be obsoleted by your patch?

Well, buildlink uses X11PREFIX indirectly to find the files for an X11
package, but from a pkgsrc developer point-of-view, it should no longer
be necessary to directly refer to X11PREFIX if a package had been strongly-
buildlinked.

Just in case a primer on buildlink is needed, a quick description of what
it does and how it does it may be found in Packages.txt.  An even shorter
version of that is:

buildlink (only) changes where the compiler looks for headers and libraries.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>