Subject: Re: libxml2 vs. XML2_CONFIG
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@c35.jgrind.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/18/2001 06:12:03
On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Johnny Lam wrote:
> > it seems that configure scripts look for the xml-config program in
> > XML_CONFIG, not XML2_CONFIG. Can that be adjusted?
>
> Yes, the buildlink.mk file should define what configure scripts want.
> I don't think any packages will want both libxml and libxml2, so there
> is little worry about the two buildlink.mk files conflicting with each
> other.  To be extra sure that the two buildlink.mk files can't be
> included together, just change the guard definition to prevent multiple
> inclusion to match in both files.

Yeah, and that's exactly the problem I'm running into after the propsed
change: the pkg in question ("paranormal" xmms plugin) wants libxml2, and
some other depends (xmms or one of it's depends) wants libxml. now we'd
have XML_CONFIG set once to xml-config and once to xml2-config on the same
command line, which doesn't compute. I got around to patch the configure
script to s/XML_CONFIG/XML2_CONFIG/ for now.

Something different: shouldn't the libxml2/buildlink file make sure that
the right -Is are added to CPPFLAGS to find the libxml2 headers:

CPPFLAGS+=      -I${BUILDLINK_DIR}/include/libxml2
CPPFLAGS+=      -I${BUILDLINK_DIR}/include/libxml2/libxml

Again, that's only speaking for the above pkg, I don't claim to have an
overview of other pkgs using xml(2).

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html