Subject: Re: KDE2, kde2-i18n ?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf@steinba.ch>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/16/2001 22:33:45
On Thursday, 16. August 2001 13:50, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> IIRC there was some discussion if we should make 1 i18n package that
> includes all languages, or one for each language. The langauge packs
> aren't exactly small, but on the other side there are 34 languages
> supported now, and probalby more to come. Dunno if that's desirable...
> (Being a disk pig, I wouldn't mind having a all-languages package, but
> that's probably just me; it sure is a no-need-to-think thing for
> users, too).

I might have already proposed this before -- don't know exactly...

Use one package which handles all languages. A subset of all available
languages can be selected by setting the PKG_LANGUAGES make variable (or
some other reasonable name) in /etc/mk.conf to the desired languages, e.g.

PKG_LANGUAGES = en de fr jp cz

would mean: if an i18n package is installed, select English, German, French,
Japanese, and Czech languages (if available).

Each i18n package could then determine which files have to be downloaded
(if there is one tar.gz for each language). Use one PLIST per language and
construct the resulting one by concatenating those for the selected
languages.

Regards
    Ingolf