Subject: Re: ltconfig [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/imlib]
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/15/2001 10:38:05
[ On , August 15, 2001 at 15:03:47 (+0200), Johan Danielsson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ltconfig [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/imlib]
>
> woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>
> > So far as I know there are no known true backwards incompatability
> > issues -- a newer version of autoconf should always work with a
> > configure.in file designed for an older version (with the caveat
> > that some warnings may be printed about obsolete macros).
>
> Autoconf 2.5x is not (in practice) compatible with 2.13
> configure.in's.

Really?  I'm sure the folks on the <autoconf@gnu.org> list would be
interested to hear the details.  Everything I've read there suggests
that they've worked hard to ensure such compatability and that they've
more or less succeeded so far as they know.

I can't see anything on the surface which would cause any major
problems.  There are some issues with Automake macros, and I'm not sure
how serious the impact is, but a new version of Automake should fix that
issue too.

(What the Autoconf maintainers have said is that they are not expecting
new configure.in files written for 2.5x to work with 2.13 -- people
running autoconf in the field, such as NetBSD's pkgsrc, are expected to
upgrade and keep with the most current version needed by the packages
they happen to use it with.)

--
							Greg A. Woods