Subject: Re: GNOME/sawfish bugs
To: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
From: Rainer Brandt <rjhb@bb-c.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/14/2001 08:23:00
Dr. Rene Hexel writes:
> "Rainer J.H. Brandt" wrote:
>
> > Before being able to log in, I had to fix one bug in the package:
> > The /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script is not executable and
>
>   That's very weird.  This script is definitely executable here on my
> system (and just yesterday I deinstalled and reinstalled gdm from
> scratch).
The gdm package, binary distribution for i386, version 2.2.0,
has the file etc/gdm/Sessions.default/Gnome with permissions 0444.
If I read the installation scripts correctly, it is installed as
/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome if it doesn't previously exist,
and upon pkg removal it is deleted if it hasn't changed.
Could that explain why it's executable on your system?

>   I can't give you advice on sawfish, because I use GNOME together with
> WindowMaker here (and I had to deinstall the sawfish window manager,
> because it kept returning as the default window manager for gnome every
> now and then).  Apart from that, GNOME runs fairly stable here ...
I tried that immediately, and liked it.  Thanks.  So far, no problems
with gdm or otherwise.

Rainer

Rainer J. H. Brandt                                email:     rjhb@bb-c.de
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH                      web:        www.bb-c.de