Subject: ltconfig [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/imlib]
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/14/2001 07:20:47
[moved to tech-pkg]

"Johnny C. Lam" wrote:

> What is the build problem with buildlink-x11 and xpkgwedge?

  First, I no longer believe that this is a problem of xpkgwedge at
all.  I was able to reproduce this on my system as well now (which
doesn't use xpkgwedge).  I still have no idea why this did not occur
when I originally compiled and committed imlib.

  The problem is as follows (please see also my other message about
ltconfig on tech-pkg):

  The original imlib software now contains a configure script
(apparently created with a newer version of GNU autoconf and libtool)
that no longer uses "ltconfig" to configure libtool.

  For buildlink reasons (I believe), we use our own autoconf to generate
a new configure script from "configure.in".  This configure script
suddenly requires "ltconfig" again to configure libtool and utterly
fails, because there is no such beast.

> > XXX: in the long run, the buildlink autoconf macros probably need to be
> >      updated and fixed to prevent similar problems in other packages.
>
> This statement confuses me.  Autoconf wasn't modified in our pkgsrc to

  That's what we apparently have to change.  The problem is not that our
(pkgsrc) autoconf has changed, but that GNU autoconf and libtool
apparently have changed.  Therefore, the configure scripts that come
with newer sources are no longer compatible with configure scripts
generated by our (older) autoconf.

  An alternative to updating our autoconf would be to use the original
configure script provided by the (imlib or whatever) software.  I may be
mistaken, but I was under the impression that buildlink was the reason
we used to generate our own configure script from "configure.in".

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene