Subject: Re: how about invoking INSTALL scripts directly from bsd.pkg.mk?
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/2001 16:22:37
[ On Monday, August 13, 2001 at 23:25:52 (+0200), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: how about invoking INSTALL scripts directly from bsd.pkg.mk?
>
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > I'm wondering if maybe we couldn't put these rules directly into
> > pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk so that they're always there (iff there's a
> > pkg/INSTALL script, of course):
>
> It's unfortunately not that easy, as often the "make install" already does
> steps that the INSTALL script is supposed to do, too.

The procedures performed by the INSTALL script MUST NOT be done by any
of the "pre-install", "install", or "post-install" rules (except by way
of invoking the INSTALL script properly, of course), even if that means
patching those procedures out of the virgin sources so that they can be
properly moved into the INSTALL script.

If there were many instances of this then indeed it wouldn't be "that
easy" to do what I suggest.

However in a few of the cases I'm aware of there's no harm in redoing
the repeated procedures any number of times (though it may show
redundant information to a user doing an install from pkgsrc itself)....

Does anyone have any specific examples of INSTALL scripts that repeat
procedures done by the "install" rules in the virgin scripts which
cannot be safely repeated?

--
							Greg A. Woods