Subject: Re: GNOME/sawfish bugs
To: Rainer J.H. Brandt <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/12/2001 16:54:27
On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Rainer J.H. Brandt wrote:

> The /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script is not executable and
> the login attempt therefore failed.  I was surprised to see this after
> having encountered the same problem with an older package more than
> half a year ago.  Isn't the software used by quite a few people?

I don't use "gdm". I use "xdm", and put "exec ssh-agent gnome-session"
at the end of "~/.xsession". What does "gdm" do that "xdm" can't?

> After logging out and rebooting, the GNOME/sawfish combination refuses
> to work.  The GNOME desktop starts, but it claims that sawfish can't be
> started, and simply runs without a window manager.

I wasn't impressed with sawfish. Afterstep works fine under gnome.

> What are those samba messages about?

Maybe a "gdm" thing?

> I'll be very happy if anyone can provide some insight.  Also, I'd appreciate
> advice on whether I should perhaps revert to xdm/fvwm (those served me well
> in the past).  However, I thought trying GNOME would be nice since I'm looking
> forward to using the same desktop environment on my Solaris and NetBSD
> machines.

What I think of as "gnome" is the session manager and integrated
desktop environment, not "gdm", not a window manager. It works fine
when invoked by "xdm". I'm not sure how fvm* works with gnome out of
the box, but I'm sure that folks are using it under gnome. Maybe some
fvm support site would have some tips and tricks for that.