Subject: Re: GNOME/sawfish bugs
To: Rainer J.H. Brandt <rjhb@bb-c.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/12/2001 16:54:27
On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Rainer J.H. Brandt wrote:

> The /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script is not executable and
> the login attempt therefore failed.  I was surprised to see this after
> having encountered the same problem with an older package more than
> half a year ago.  Isn't the software used by quite a few people?

I don't use "gdm". I use "xdm", and put "exec ssh-agent gnome-session"
at the end of "~/.xsession". What does "gdm" do that "xdm" can't?

> After logging out and rebooting, the GNOME/sawfish combination refuses
> to work.  The GNOME desktop starts, but it claims that sawfish can't be
> started, and simply runs without a window manager.

I wasn't impressed with sawfish. Afterstep works fine under gnome.

> What are those samba messages about?

Maybe a "gdm" thing?

> I'll be very happy if anyone can provide some insight.  Also, I'd appreciate
> advice on whether I should perhaps revert to xdm/fvwm (those served me well
> in the past).  However, I thought trying GNOME would be nice since I'm looking
> forward to using the same desktop environment on my Solaris and NetBSD
> machines.

What I think of as "gnome" is the session manager and integrated
desktop environment, not "gdm", not a window manager. It works fine
when invoked by "xdm". I'm not sure how fvm* works with gnome out of
the box, but I'm sure that folks are using it under gnome. Maybe some
fvm support site would have some tips and tricks for that.

Frederick