Subject: Re: GNOME/sawfish bugs
To: Rainer J.H. Brandt <rjhb@bb-c.de>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/12/2001 22:04:18
"Rainer J.H. Brandt" wrote:

> Before being able to log in, I had to fix one bug in the package:
> The /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script is not executable and

  That's very weird.  This script is definitely executable here on my
system (and just yesterday I deinstalled and reinstalled gdm from
scratch).

> After logging out, I see that one user process is not terminated:
> An "oafd" (/usr/X11R6/bin/oafd) is still running.  What is the purpose
> of this undocumented program?

  This is GNOME's "object application framework daemon", a daemon for
locating and running CORBA objects.  You might want to update your gnome
packages.  If the ChangeLog is correct, this bug was fixed in
GConf-1.0.3.

> I'll be very happy if anyone can provide some insight.  Also, I'd appreciate
> advice on whether I should perhaps revert to xdm/fvwm (those served me well

  I can't give you advice on sawfish, because I use GNOME together with
WindowMaker here (and I had to deinstall the sawfish window manager,
because it kept returning as the default window manager for gnome every
now and then).  Apart from that, GNOME runs fairly stable here ...

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene