Subject: Re: Japanese translation requested
To: Masao Uebayashi <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/2001 11:11:14
Masao Uebayashi <> writes:
> I've found the (possibly) newest VFlib patch for AFPL Ghostscript
> 7.00.  The patch is included in Kakuto-san's pTeX Win32 distribution.
> (Most files are Win32 binaries.)

I'm currently grabbing what appears to be the same file from:

but I will grab from your site and double-check that the files are

> As I already said, GS-CJK is doing really a good job, but it's still
> experimental and not good for Pkgsrc, I think.  So this Kakuto-san's
> patch (Tanaka-san's patch for 7.00) are to be used as far.

Yes, the project looks nice, but doesn't seem production-ready, so I
think we'll be sticking with AFPL/GPL ghostscript.  Since the VFlib
patches seem to exist only for AFPL Ghostscript 7.00, and not for GNU
Ghostscript 6.51, I will be updating pkgsrc ghostscript to 7.00 so as
not to lose any functionality, despite the more restrictive license.

> (I'm very sorry that I can't make the Pkgsrc, but AFPL Ghostscript's
>  build process is so messy...)

Yes, quite messy indeed.  I'll be working on the ghostscript update
this weekend, so if anyone knows of specific 3rd-party printer drivers
they'd prefer to see incorporated into our pkgsrc ghostscript, please
speak up now and I'll try my best.

     -- Johnny C. Lam <>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University