Subject: X.pkg.mk and -Wl,-R stuff
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/23/2001 16:36:43
I'm working on the openpackages stuff.

Apparently, we're starting with netbsd versions of several of the .mk files.

And I have a question.

Why does op.pkg.mk have the -Wl,-R stuff in it at all?  While it provides
the location for dynamic libraries, I don't see any corresponding logic to
handle #include files.  Shouldn't the actual source packages handle this?

This has become an issue because in addressing portability issues I need to
"rewrite" this logic.  The -R items are gnu-ld specific, and the -Wl, items
are gcc-specific.  Yes, there may be other compilers/loaders that also
accept these flags, but I need to implement a portable solution.

I am/was tempted to conditionalize these fragments using CC_TYPE and
LD_TYPE, but I'm not sure if this is really the right way to go.  Perhaps it
would be better to "publish" these paths in a well-known place and let each
some other mechanism create suitable -I/-L/-R options based on this info.