Subject: Re: Making base OS into packages: Progress?
To: David Rankin <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/23/2001 10:04:52
On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 10:36:51PM -0400, David Rankin wrote:
> I really like the concept of having all of NetBSD's OS data/programs/etc.
> be managed by the Packages system, and have been going through ways to
> implement it as a thought experiment. Before I wade through my employer's
> unpleasant process to let me "keep" ownership of my off-duty work, I
> wanted to see who has already been working on this (real code if there
> is any, ideas if not) to see where I can contribute. Is anyone working on
> this already?
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> --
> David W. Rankin, Jr.     Christian, Husband, Father, and UNIX Sysadmin.
>    "We're the technical experts. We were hired so that management could
>     ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."
>        -- Mike Andrews in <eUJE5.880$ln6.119642@news.flash.net>

Some work has already been done for a vendor. I was advised that the
systems packages work should hit the tree before the end of July, but
the person doing the work has recently moved across the USA, and all
of his systems are still boxed up. I have no better estimate other
than that it should happen sometime soon.

Regards,
Alistair