Subject: Re: configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
To: Wolfgang Zeikat <w.zeikat@webseek.de>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/22/2001 14:57:39
Am Sunday 22 July 2001 14:28 schrieben Sie:
> In the previous episode (22.07.2001), mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu
>
> <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu> said:
> > moving this to tech-pkg....
> >
> > > while trying to install for example in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/gmake/ on
> >
> > NetBSD
> >
> > > 1.5.1 on an i386 i have gotten the error:
> > >
> > > checking whether the C compiler (...) works... no
> > > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> >
> > cannot
> >
> > > create executables.
> > > ... Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop.
> >
> > i'm not sure, but I'm having similar problems on alpha.  If you just do
> >
> > make clean
> > make
> >
> > again in devel/gmake does it work? My problem seems to not be with
> > building a pkg directly but rather when a build is triggered by a
> > depends.
>
> that fixes it yes.
>
> thanks
>
> wolfgang

By the way, similar problem in textproc/dict-client. It depends on a lib
named libmaa, which seemingly only gets built for dict itself. When
configuring for it it stumbles into the same error. A solution is to go
work/dictd-1.4.9 and run ./configure and gmake there from hand. Then you
can't install the package from textproc/dict-client though, because a make
install starts triggering configure again .. of course a gmake install works
fine in textproc/dict-client/work/dictd-1.4.9 but that's skipping package
entries in the pkg db.

Martin Weber