Subject: Re: make update of apache overwrites htdoc/index*
To: Tracy Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/20/2001 22:12:35
Tracy Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu> writes:
> Subject: make update of apache overwrites htdoc/index*

> Sender:  tech-pkg-owner@netbsd.org
>

> I upgraded apache from 1.3.19 to 1.3.20, using make update.
> Tada, my index.html is the default page again...
> Maybe this isn't such a good thing?  I was slightly annoyed.

I generally set the Apache DocumentRoot to outside of /usr/pkg for
this reason.  The "make install" from the apache sources' Makefile
just tars up the htdocs directory and dumps it to the installation
location, and it would be hard to deal properly with not overwriting
files within htdocs ("properly" meaning "works with binary packages").

	Cheers,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/