Subject: Please stop change logs in CVS commit messages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/10/2001 14:49:47
This practice of committing with changelogs has got to stop.  People have
asked why I think it's a stupid idea and have "suggested" that I do so in my
commits, and I'm continuing to refuse to do so.  Attached you'll find a
perfect counterexample that shows how unreasonable this policy is.

All this does is add a lot more clutter to CVS files, and has very little
advantage otherwise.  Remember that if you commit with a big commit message,
*every* file touched with that commit grows by that amount in the CVS
repository.

Leave documentation files to provide documentation.  That's not what CVS
commit logs are meant to hold.  If you want more descriptive change log
entries, how about a short manually written note that describes why a
package is added or upgraded?  (And yes, "many bug fixes" should be
sufficient.)

: Module Name:	doc
: Committed By:	nra