Subject: Re: problems building several packages
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/10/2001 00:10:14
On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 03:58:24PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > However, imlib _has_ been installed:
>
> More buildlink lossage. It looks like it's trying to run
> "imlib-config" in .../work/.buildlink/bin/imlib-config, which is
> indeed _not_ where the imlib package installed it. Is that error from
> building "glade", or some other package that depends on "glade"?

I was trying to build "glade" directly.  I have seen similar problems with
other packages as well, however..

> No. pkgsrc is broken. I don't understand this buildlink stuff enough
> to take a shot at fixing it, sorry. You could roll back a month or so
> to before all this started.

Ouch. ;) :(

> > I also have problems with installed programs not finding the shared libraries.
> > Before ELF, this was fixed by ld.so.conf, but now...  Don't the binaries know
> > the library search path?  No?
>
> I haven't seen that lately. Maybe more buildlink lossage. Which
> binaries?

Well, I installed Opera on a vanilla 1.5 machine and it couldn't find some
of the libraries (can't check, the machine isn't here any more).  Also, I
couldn't run xpdf until I set LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib (xpdf first
found the libs it wanted, but then looked for them in /usr/lib and couldn't
find them there.. according to ktrace).

I built kde2 (required a few patches to Makefiles, but seems to build now
(thanks, Tomasz!)) but some things don't work (like the screensavers, which
complain they can't find the libkcm_screensaver.a library, but it _is_
there)...

I guess I should make a list of all the problems, but I first thought it
was all my fault and banged my head against the wall, rebuilt and rebuilt
and got some bits working eventually..

  -jm