Subject: Re: Changing Solaris LOCALBASE from /usr/local to /usr/pkg
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/08/2001 23:28:15
On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 02:45:12PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	I'd like to change the default Solaris LOCALBASE to match that
> 	of NetBSD and Linux (/usr/pkg).
>
>         In order to avoid hosing any existing Solaris pkgsrc users I
> 	propose adding a check which causes pkgsrc to error out if the
> 	following four conditions are met:
> 		+ Running on Solaris
> 		+ LOCALBASE is not set in mk.conf or environment
> 		+ /usr/local/libexec/cgi-bin is present
> 		+ /usr/pkg/libexec/cgi-bin is not present
>
> 	New installations would automatically pick up /usr/pkg, existing
> 	users who have not set LOCALBASE and who want to keep /usr/local
> 	would need to add it to their mk.conf
>
> 	If there are no objections I'll go ahead with this later this
> 	week.

No objection from me - it has been a matter of extreme shame to me
that I used /usr/local for the default Solaris LOCALBASE setting.
It made sense at the time, with the infrastructure I was using, but
should have been changed before the Solaris changes hit our tree.

Sorry,
Alistair (who will re-surface RSN)