Subject: Re: rfc: bulk-build mail list and binary packages
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/06/2001 07:58:42
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> No comments at all about this cool proposal ?

  The idea is good, but hardware and bandwidth are likely to be a problem here.  For example, I might be able to devote a machine to bulk building here, but if I were to upload an entire set of binary packages every time such a bulk build finished, I'd get into a lot of trouble here ;-)

  What I'd prefer to see is a declining number of "incompatible" packages.  I.e., when the major version of a library gets bumped, all the depending packages should be rebuild (preferably by the person who updated the library, but at least by the person who uploaded the binary package containing the library) and uploaded in one go.  This would at least solve most of ii) and iii) ...

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene