Subject: Re: building mesa-apps w/ XFree 4
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/05/2001 23:06:39
On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:45:29AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > There are things missing from XFree 4, like it has libGL but not
> > libglut, or something like that. The Mesa meta-package is supposed to
> > take care of the differences.
>
> I think the problem may be line's in bsd.prefs.mk such as:
>
> .if exists(${X11BASE}/include/GL/glu.h)
> __BUILTIN_GLU!=         ${EGREP} -c BuildGLULibrary  ${X11BASE}/lib/X11/config/X11.tmpl || ${TRUE}
> .else
> __BUILTIN_GLU=          0
> .endif
>
> which will trigger even if X11.tmpl has "#define BuildGLULibrary NO".

This should never happen, such a define has to go into host.def.
X11.tmpl should never be changed and I don't think the xfree people
will do such a change.

> Maybe all such tests should be more like
>
>     ${CPP} -DM -E ${X11BASE}/lib/X11/config/X11.tmpl | \
> 	${EGREP} -c \#define\ BuildGLULibrary\ YES || ${TRUE}
>
> The intention is to let ${CPP} put the "#define" into cannononical
> form so ${EGREP} can test for it. Since there are a few like this, the
> test might be a candidate for a make macro. I'm a little thick in that
> department, so I'm just going to throw this out there to see if anyone
> else wants to tackle it.
>
> If this is indeed the problem, the work-around for XFree 4 users would
> be to install graphics/glu manually before building Mesa.
>
> Another possibility is that XFree 4 really wants to install it's own
> GLU library, but the header is somewhere else besides
> ${X11BASE}/include/GL/glu.h. Could someone with XFree 4 installed
> please report the results of
>
> 1) "grep -2 BuildGLULibrary /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/X11.tmpl",

define BuildGLXLibrary         (BuildGlxExt && !BuildServersOnly)
#endif
#ifndef BuildGLULibrary
#define BuildGLULibrary         (BuildGLXLibrary && HasCplusplus)
#endif
#ifndef BuildXF86RushExt
--
#endif

#if BuildGLULibrary
#ifndef SharedLibGlu
#define SharedLibGlu            HasSharedLibraries
--
#endif

#if BuildGLULibrary
    GLULIBSRC = $(LIBSRC)/GLU