Subject: Re: libxml and libxml2 at the same time
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2001 11:42:03
Martti Kuparinen wrote:

> Which one of this is the correct way to handle files:
>
> 1) Use the CONFLICTS keyword to allow only 1.x or 2.x but not both
>
> 2) Convert the "#include <libxml/xxx>" lines into "#include <libxml2/xxx>"

  AFAIK, libxml2 is not fully compatible with libxml-1.*.  Therefore,
I'd say a CONFLICTS is counter-productive.  I.e. it would effectively
split our packages into two disjunct pairs that cannot be installed
together.  This would especially be bad during the transition period
when more and more packages move towards libxml2.

  My suggestion would be

  3) Install the libxml2 includes into
"${PREFIX}/include/libxml2/libxml".  This way, a simple
"-I${PREFIX}/libxml2" before "-I${PREFIX}" should allow packages that
want libxml2 to grab the correct headers.

  In addition, if the installed library is just called "libxml.a", I'd
suggest a similar procedure, i.e., installing the libraries in a
"${PREFIX}/lib/libxml2" subdirectory.  That's not necessary, of course,
if the library is called "libxml2.a" ...

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene