Subject: Re: Locations of some packages baffles me
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/28/2001 21:19:16
[ On Thursday, June 28, 2001 at 19:44:27 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Locations of some packages baffles me
>
> "xsrc" was created before "pkgsrc" was. The decision was made before I
> became interested in NetBSD, but there it is.

I'm very well aware of that -- but the question remains....

> "pkgsrc" packages seems like a bit much to me -- we already have two
> complete X distributions in the tree.

I'm not talking about "stuff in the source tree".

I'm talking about management of add-on packages.  X11 is in reality just
an add-on to NetBSD -- why not treat it as such?  It matters not that
there's a customised version of the source in the same CVS repo.

All it would take is a little bit of release management (appropriate
timing of a tag, along with a run of 'cvs export -kv xsrc') to create
the necessary input to pkgsrc.  From there it's just the tedium of
getting all the packaging details right.

The interesting thing here is that it makes USE_X11 truly meaningful and
makes it possible to bootstrap literally *any* add-on package with only
pkgsrc (or a complete repostitory of binary packages).

> The master plan here, as I
> understand it, is to go with pkgized base/x sets, so you you can use
> pkg_* to upgrade your whole system.

Hmmmm.... nice idea I agree, but in the mean time....

>  You would create the pkgized (x)
> sets the same way you make the x sets, now, from within "xsrc".

Well, yes, of course you could.  Presumably that would come along for
"free" if xsrc were brought up to the standards of the main OS build
process.

It would seem to me to be much easier to use pkgsrc though.

> Interesting. I'll pass on that package thing. I really don't see that
> happening. It might better be a candidate for import into xsrc/xc.

It would indeed be nice to see X11R6.6 imported into xsrc now that the
x.org licensing FUBAR has long long ago been "fixed".

That's still orthogonal to whether there's a pkgsrc/x11/base though.

--
							Greg A. Woods