Subject: Re: Locations of some packages baffles me
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/28/2001 15:07:04
On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Greywolf wrote:

> # From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
> #
> # On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Greywolf wrote:
> #
> # > If it's something that needs X11 libs to build and/or is designed to run
> # > on an X display, should it not live inside $X11BASE?
> #
> # The last time this came up, we couldn't get any consensus. Maybe now
> # that xpkgwedge is apparently working, we can start moving X packages
> # to ${X11PREFIX}?
>
> Okay, I didn't realise that xpkgwedge was an issue in this.  All I knew
> was that if we were going to mix X11 stuff in ${LOCALBASE}, why have
> ${LOCALBASE} at all?

I'm not sure what you mean. What's the alternative to ${LOCALBASE}?

"xpkgwedge" isn't the issue, as such. The issue is the philosophical
one that "xpkgwedge" addresses -- some folks want to confine all the
package files to /usr/pkg, or (/usr/local), including X files and
local configuration files.

I don't, but I don't swing so far the other way as I used to, either.
Many packages expect to install to /usr/local, even one's that require
X to run. I could see moving some of these into ${X11PREFIX}, but it's
no big deal to me either way.

> And yes, I understand (sort of) why some graphics stuff lives in /usr/local,
> although it does seem a bit odd for reasons I'm not quite sure of.
> Obviously you don't want to restrict the pnm/ppm stuff to X11 because
> you might be running it on a headless machine which has more compute
> power than a workstation (but you'd use the WS to display the results),
> but it still seems odd to me.

Well, "netpbm" doesn't even require X; you might want that on a
printserver.

> wish8.0 is another one that looks like it
> ought to live in ${X11PREFIX} (since it's, by and large, used for building
> quick graphical interfaces to things).

"wish" does link against -lX11, so it's useless without /usr/X11R6 (or
equivalent). On the other hand, if you move it, you'll break every tcl
script that does "#!/usr/pkg/bin/wish".

> Is there anything I can help with?

It seems like add you'd have to do is change USE_X11 to
USE_X11BASE[*], make sure nothing conflicts, and update any depending
packages as necessary. Simple (with a few exceptions, such as tcl).
Those who would keep /usr/X11R6 "pure" should already be setting
${X11PREFIX} to ${LOCALBASE}. I suggest you wait and see if there are
no strong objections before submitting patches.

Frederick

[*] Why doesn't "aterm" have USE_X11=YES? "tcl"?