Subject: Re: Questions about submitting new packages
To: Rob Hoopman <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/25/2001 17:05:57
> - Can I just put them up on the web somewhere and send-pr them?

I guess so. see below.

> - Can I use <> as
> maintainer, or do I need to put myself in there?

As packages@ can be treated as an alias for /dev/null, I recommend putting
your own address there.

> - As I only have some i386 I can test these on they probably need some
> testing on other platforms?
> Should I use ONLY_FOR_PLATFOM as long as I haven't had confirmation they
> run on other platforms?

Do not put ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM there. If you need/want testers, post to some
lists (tech-pkg, port-*). ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM should only be set if the pkg
*really* can only run on a limited number of platforms.

If it's set without no good reason, people won't bother trying it.

> - Furthermore pkglint is swearing like a sailor when I run it on the
> php4-sablot package
> It does the same for php4-pgsql and others, so I guess this should be ok
> anyway?

I guess so, assuming your pkg works otherwise, and looks sort of like the
php4-pgsql pkg etc. See pkgsrc/Packages.txt for some techniques to see if
the pkg is ok (deinstalls fine, ...).

 - Hubert

Hubert Feyrer <>