Subject: Re: pkgsrc license issues (was: security/ssh vs distfiles/vulnerabilities)
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/14/2001 23:18:17
On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> > I'm in favour of getting rid of the ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES setting
> > altogether.
> >

> > Jason
>
> If you can provide an alternative framework to alert the person who
> installs the package to the "non-standard" licence, then I'm all for
> it.  If it's merely a copout "I don't care what the licence says",
> then, most definitely, I'm not.

	How about when it hits an 'unacceptable' licence it gives
	a message including a note on how to turn off all licences,
	and an optional 'make READ_LICENSE' command which will display
	the licence, prompt for accept, and add the appropriate
	ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+=XXXX to mk/conf

	I'd even support that behaviour being the default - if a
	novice user interactively types 'make install' on pine it
	should display the licence and prompt to add there & then.
--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --