Subject: Re: hidden dependencies, Act II
To: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/14/2001 12:36:17
On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Dr. Rene Hexel wrote:

> "Johnny C. Lam" wrote:
> > Is my analysis correct, or did I miss an obvious way to write a simple
> > config.cache generator script?
>
>   Another possibility would be a two-pass "configure" procedure: in the
> first pass, the GNU configure script writes its config.cache file, which
> then gets modified by a script such that only
> "ac_cv_lib_whatever_main=no"/"ac_cv_header_whatever_h=no" entries
> remain.  This could either be done every time a package is build, or
> explicitly by the package maintainer (i.e., we could distribute such a
> generated config.cache with the package).

I've found the easiest way to set config.cache overrides is setting
them in configure's environment, via CONFIGURE_ENV. (See
www/lynx-current.) That doesn't really have the desired effect, of
disabling libraries _automatically_, of course, as it's no better than
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--without-whatever.

Frederick