Subject: Re: pkgsrc license issues (was: security/ssh vs distfiles/vulnerabilities)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/14/2001 03:22:12
On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 01:37:35AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, June 14, 2001 at 10:00:56 (+0900), itojun@iijlab.net wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: security/ssh vs distfiles/vulnerabilities
> >
> > 	at some point in 2.x, there is a license change again, which is
> > 	somewhat less restrictive.  IIRC, ssh.com specifically excluded NetBSD
> > 	(and some other free software operating system) from the definition of
> > 	"commercial use".  i haven't checked 3.x yet.
>
> None of the SSH.COM licenses conform to copyright law, at least not in
> Canada.  So you can either take the lax view and assume that only their
> However since they seem to
> encourage free redistribution of at least unmodified copies I think the
> "lax" view is probably more likely to be the correct interpretation.

That's my reading of the license (currently references 2.3, though the
software is at 2.4) which is the main thing to come up when viewing
ssh.com's product page tonight.

> So, in other words, pkgsrc is in a perfect position to enable users to
> make use of any publicly available SSH.COM source code since pkgsrc
>
> (FYI, I am obviously not a lawyer, but I do have my well read copy of
> the "Canadian Copyright Act and Regulations" sitting here beside me....)

IANAL also :-) it seems that ssh 2.4 would be "can't distribute sources,
but can modify (patch), and use, on NetBSD, for commercial or
non-commercial purposes." but "... for non-commercial use on the
non-NetBSD platforms pkgsrc supports".

Unless anyone reads that license differently, I'll presume we can update
pkgsrc to 2.4

http://www.ssh.com/products/ssh/ssh_license_agreement.html

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive