Subject: Re: problems after upgrade from source
To: Robert Becker <becker@mcs.anl.gov>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/06/2001 09:36:15
On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 12:31:29PM -0500, Robert Becker wrote:
> After upgrading from 1.5.1_BETA2 to -current I seem to have problems building
> packages. Many don't know how to handle dependancies. I most likely broke
> something myself but any suggestions would be helpful. Here is an example:
>
> zendo# make
> ===> Validating dependencies for gtk+-1.2.10
> make: don't know how to make gtk+-1.2.10. Stop
>
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/glib
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/glib
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/gtk
> ===> gtk+-1.2.10 cannot build necessary dependencies.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/gtk
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/gtk
>
> TIA,
> Rob Becker

Just in passing, you don't need to be root to build packages.  You do
have to be root to install them, but, at installation time, if the
effective uid is not 0, then su(1) will be invoked by default.

However, I think we'll need some more information if we're going to
track down this one.

Can you show us the results of "make PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=2", please? That
should show a huge amount of debugging output, and it's much easier to
isolate the problem.

Thanks,
Al