Subject: Re: install and update together
To: None <>
From: Georges Heinesch <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/30/2001 18:17:35
Quoting Ignatios Souvatzis (28-May-01 09:14:59):

> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 10:08:52AM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> make update is not possible since pkglint was never installed
>> before.

> Yes it is. Just try it, you'll like it.

Does this mean that if a package which is not installed yet (like
pkglint in my example) and which depends on other poackages which
require an update (like perl-mk here), it's the best way to say "make

In this case I would say that it's better to always say "make update",
since you can't know forehand (before the installation) whether the
package depends on existing packages which do require an update.

I kept on twisting my brain with this problem, but I couldn't find any
suitable way to solve it; neither did I find any docs explaining how
to proceed. I'm sure I'm not the first one who steps into this.

Problem summary: How shall I install a package A (not yet installed),
which depends on a package B (installed), if this package B requires
an update?

Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    PGP RSA & DH/DSS public key on request and on public servers

... don't do anything, I wouldn't do ...