Subject: Re: About fake^WStaged installations
To: Stoned Elipot <Stoned.Elipot@script.jussieu.fr>
From: Marc Espie <espie@schutzenberger.liafa.jussieu.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/30/2001 19:14:46
On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 07:07:48PM +0200, Stoned Elipot wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2001 18:56:13 +0200  Marc Espie wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > but the OpenBSD tree proves it's feasible (and surprisingly enough, it's
> > not that hard.... just takes a heck of a long time, but it's worthwhile
> > as it uncovers lots of fun secondary issues).
> Sure but IMHO they are mostly hidden in the software the pkg is about
> not in the pkgsrc system. Right ?

Yes, for the most part. Some specific subsystems (perl) take some extra
magic to work, and there are issues with dependencies (basically, you have
to install the whole subtree of, say, kdelibs, in the staged area before
you can install kdebase), but most of it is figuring software issues.

There are some recurring themes... like I implied, the virus-like nature
of the FSF tools means you're bound to run into the same
autoconf/automake/libtool/gettext bug again and again in each package that
uses it.

Oh well, this is nothing new.  `hidden' dependencies are another aspect of
this.