Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/25/2001 16:42:15
On Fri, 25 May 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> If you have a very recent png, you could probably get away with
> commenting out the DEPENDS in a package before building it. If your
> "knews" or "ImageMagick" works and displays png's, no harm done.
> (Either that, or time-travel to before the DEPENDS was bumped.)
> The problem with explicitly accomodating pkgsrc users who don't want
> to upgrade, is that some of these "users" are also developers who make
> binary packages for mass consumption. Moreover, it's not their fault.
> A _package_ system that's not designed, foremost, to build binary
> packages is pretty weak.

	I'd like to suggest we have a policy where we try to
	encourage developers to perform bulk builds and upload the
	entire set to ftp.netbsd.org, deleting any existing packages
	for that arch/osrev at the same time. As its not directly
	related to the packagever bump I'll start another thread :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --