Subject: Re: DEINSTALL scripts for daemon packages
To: NetBSD Package Tech <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2001 17:35:37
[ On Thursday, May 24, 2001 at 20:34:52 (+0200), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: DEINSTALL scripts for daemon packages
> REQ was removed because we can do the same with an INSTALL script.
> Is this also true for the DEINSTALL case? I didn't check then.

I still think it makes sense to keep the `require' script separate and
to use it specifically to do INSTALL/DEINSTALL requirements checks, just
like the pkg_add(1) and pkg_delete(1) manual pages describe.

For installation, i.e. pkg_add, the manual is indeed quite clear that
the `install' script does pre-install actions, whereas the `require'
script does pre-install checks.  There's a mountain of semantic
difference that's very useful!

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>     <>
Planix, Inc. <>;   Secrets of the Weird <>