Subject: Re: dealing with pkgname-latest.tar.gz
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Chris Jones <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2001 13:19:05

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 08:46:41PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001, Chris Jones wrote:
> > I know that distfiles are typically mirrored on, so am
> > I worrying too much about this?
> You aren't, filenames like that are a general problem.
> I think the right solution was to copy it as jde-YYYYMMDD.tgz to
>, then use (only) that as master site.

In this case, they actually use version numbers -- they just don't use
a version number for the latest version.  I think I'll list the real
master site second, after

> (Sounds like a question for the FAQ... :)

That was a hint, wasn't it?  :)  It kind of looks like we need another
FAQ, though.  We currently have a user's guide, and a committer's
guide, but no maintainer's guide.  There is, of course, the *huge*
Packages.txt file in the pkgsrc directory, but there's nothing (that I
can find) on the web site.

Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large

Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see