Subject: Re: png lib update and gnome-libs
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2001 14:44:37
On Thu, 24 May 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	After running 'make update' in graphics/png I now have a broken
> > 	gnumeric as gnome_segv in gnome-libs has an incorrect reference
> > 	to libpng.so.1. I'm running a 'make update' in gnome-libs which
> > 	should fix it, but should be add a DEPENDS for png to gnome-libs?
>
> I thought this would happen, and I said as much...
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2001/05/22/0079.html
>
> What should happen, is imlib should get an "nb" bump to reflect the
> change in it's dependencies, and then all packages that depend on
> imlib have to update their to DEPENDS to the latest version for imlib,
> and get their version bumped, and so on. Same for any other package
> that depends on png. That's the only way!
>
> The irony is that the submitter of the PR that lead to libpng being
> bumped only wanted to make it easer to upgrade from a very old png.
> Bumping the version now, long after the ABI change, only makes it more
> difficult for everybody else. It's just as well, though, because
> shared lib versions will change regardless, and we might as well take
> this opportunity to resolve how they should be handled.

	Hmm - the 'make update' in png also rebuilt imglib, so I _should_
	have been OK on that front?
	As an added bonus rebuilding gnome-libs has made the gnome_segv
	program work so I can see that gnumeric is getting a segv, but
	leaves me no closer to a working gnumeric.

	I'm probably going to have to delete and rebuild all packages on a
	non production box to see if its upgrade related or a problem with
	a change in a package.
--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --