Subject: Re: png lib update and gnome-libs
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2001 08:28:40
On Thu, 24 May 2001, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	After running 'make update' in graphics/png I now have a broken
> 	gnumeric as gnome_segv in gnome-libs has an incorrect reference
> 	to libpng.so.1. I'm running a 'make update' in gnome-libs which
> 	should fix it, but should be add a DEPENDS for png to gnome-libs?

I thought this would happen, and I said as much...

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2001/05/22/0079.html

What should happen, is imlib should get an "nb" bump to reflect the
change in it's dependencies, and then all packages that depend on
imlib have to update their to DEPENDS to the latest version for imlib,
and get their version bumped, and so on. Same for any other package
that depends on png. That's the only way!

The irony is that the submitter of the PR that lead to libpng being
bumped only wanted to make it easer to upgrade from a very old png.
Bumping the version now, long after the ABI change, only makes it more
difficult for everybody else. It's just as well, though, because
shared lib versions will change regardless, and we might as well take
this opportunity to resolve how they should be handled.

Frederick