Subject: package source directory hierarchy
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2001 13:28:56
I'm wondering that it would be nicer if package sources are separated
not by category but alphabet, initial of each ${PKGNAME}, like

  /usr/pkgsrc/0/0verkill
  /usr/pkgsrc/0/6to4
  :
  /usr/pkgsrc/A/AiCa
  :
  /usr/pkgsrc/a/a2ps
  /usr/pkgsrc/a/abacus
  :

This way is good in some points:

  - easier to find a package source directory
  - more flexible to classify a package into multiple categories
  - more flexible to create/delete categories
  - can save time for pkg-managers to decide the category a package
    belongs to

Category is used for browsing packages, that is, one already has a
certain purpose and she/he looks for packages which are for her/his
purpose. To fullfill such a case, it's sufficient to put a text (or
html) file in which packages are sorted by category, like

  I18N:
    emacs
    mozilla
    :
  XML:
    PyXML
    XML-Xerces
    XmHTML
    :
  Language:
    STk
    egcs
    :

It's easy and seems better to add 'COMMENT' to this file.

I've not thought the feasibility, but I guess this is not impossible.

Regards,
Masao

---