Subject: Re: perl package questions
To: None <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/20/2001 17:20:57 writes:
> If the modules becoming part of the base distribution of perl don't
> get updated (too often) by themselves, this is fine with me.
> But remember that was distributed with perl even back in the 5.004_04
> days, but that it has been updated many times in between the perl releases.
> In this particular case, I feel that a "real" p5-CGI package is the only way
> to go.

Even if they are installed as part of the base install, it doesn't
preclude them from also being installed in site_perl and overriding
the base library module.  So what I'd like to do is:

	perl5		(5.6.1)		depends on perl5-base, perl-mk
	p5-Data-Dumper	(2.110)		depends on USE_PERL5
	p5-Devel-DProf	(20000000)	depends on USE_PERL5
	p5-Devel-Peek	(1.0001nb1)	depends on USE_PERL5
	p5-CGI		(2.752)		depends on USE_PERL5

If the modules get updated separately, as I expect p5-CGI might, then
we simply build and install into site_perl, overriding the installed
base CGI module.

Does that clarify things?
     -- Johnny C. Lam <>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University