Subject: Re: two questions: upgrading meta packages, pkg database
To: Rainer J.H. Brandt <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/20/2001 02:37:00
On Sat, 19 May 2001, Rainer J.H. Brandt wrote:
>     What is the preferred upgrade method for "packages" like gnome ?

deinstall recursively, then rebuild with new libs etc.
I recomment using precompiled binary pkgs where available.

> 2.  I would like to audit my system with respect to the files maintained by the
>     package system, just like I do it on my Solaris machines.  Under that
>     operating system, the software database tells me about the file ownerships
>     and permissions, and it has an opinion about whether a file's contents
>     should be expected to change.
>     Am I correct if I believe that the NetBSD package system does not maintain
>     that information?  Do plans exist to improve the system so that it will
>     maintain that data in the future?

We do contain MD5 checksums of all files installed. You can do a check of
that with:

	pkg_admin check

for all packages or

	pkg_admin check foo-1.8

for a single pkg.

> 3.  Which document should I have read in order to save you from being bothered
>     by my questions?

1. Manpages: pkg_add(8), pkg_delete(8), pkg_info(8), pkg_create(8),
2. pkgsrc/Packages.txt
3. packages(7)
4. The list archive
5. & pkg_* source :-)