Subject: PostgreSQL upgrade pains (was Re: down?)
To: Jon Buller <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/18/2001 01:36:32
Jon Buller <> writes:
> It probably wouldn't be such a big deal, (provided 7.1.1 can read
> all my 7.0.2 databases without a dump/reload)

You actually need to do a dump and restore of your databases if
upgrading from pre-7.1 to 7.1.x.

I'm wondering what can be done about this as when PosgreSQL is
upgraded, a dump and restore is almost always required or at least
recommended.  Perhaps we should add a DEINSTALL script that warns of
the possible need to run pg_dumpall if the user intends to upgrade?
It's really far too late to tell the user to dump the databases at
pre-install time as it's currently done.  Any one else have thoughts
on how to handle this?

     -- Johnny C. Lam <>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University