Subject: Re: pkgsrc installing binary packages
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/17/2001 12:06:28
Hubert,

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> OK, next round on teaching bin-install FTP, including docs & stuff. Please
> test, review, and let me know if this is ok to commit, or if there's
> something fundamental missing.

Sorry for the delay. I tested it today. It works! Here are my notes:

I had: "Version mismatch: 'xpaint' 2.5.6 vs 2.6.1."
So from /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/xpaint I did:
 make bin-install DEPENDS_TARGET=bin-install

And it looked for the binary. But I already had older xpaint installed,
but it kept trying (and then built from source):

 Trying ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/i386/All
 pkg_add: other version 'xpaint-2.5.6' already installed
 Trying ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/i386/All
 pkg_add: other version 'xpaint-2.5.6' already installed
 Trying ftp://smaug.fh-regensburg.de/pub/NetBSD/packages/i386/All
 pkg_add: other version 'xpaint-2.5.6' already installed
 Installing from source

After deleting old xpaint package, it worked to fetch and install the
xpaint and rman binary packages. Very quick and very useful!

 rainier:/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/xpaint$ make bin-install
 DEPENDS_TARGET=bin-install 2>&1 | tee J9
 Trying ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/i386/All
 pkg_add: unpackURL: verification expandURL failed
 Error on
 unpackURL('ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/i386/All/rman-3.0.9.tbz',
 '/var/tmp/instmp.13538d')
 xpaint-2.6.1 successfully installed.

I am not sure what this error means, but rman and xpaint installed
successfully. (I'll ignore this error even though it happened a few times.
I feel it is unrelated to this patch. If anyone is interested in this
"failed" error, I have numerous verbose logs showing when it happens and
when it doesn't happen.)

Thanks Hubert for this patch. The patch worked with installing lynx; plus
after removing suse_base, navigator, netscape, suse_libjpeg, communicator,
suse_x11, and suse_compat, I was successfully able to install netscape
(and its required dependencies) with the bin-install targets.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/