Subject: Re: LOCALBASE and non NetBSD use of pkgsrc
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/17/2001 08:49:51
On Thu, 17 May 2001, David Brownlee wrote:

# Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:27:14 +0100 (BST)
# From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
# To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
# Cc: tech-pkg@netbsd.org, nrahlstr@winternet.com, mike@ethmoid.org
#
# On Thu, 17 May 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:
#
# > On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 03:23:59PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
# > > 	I'd like to propose switching LOCALBASE on non NetBSD systems to
# > > 	/usr/pkg to match the NetBSD usage (rather than /usr/local) - at
# > > 	the very least on linux.
# >
# > Yes.  I really wish I'd made the Solaris LOCALBASE /usr/pkg now, but
# > 20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.
#
# 	OK - I've just defaulted the LOCALBASE to /usr/pkg for Linux.
#
# 	In order to reduce the chances of hosing any Solaris pkgsrc
# 	users I'd like to change the Solaris case to try to pick up
# 	an existing /usr/local based installation and refuse to run
# 	unless LOCALBASE is set explicitly.

You mean, if /usr/local exists then LOCALBASE must be set?
Or must it be set to something besides /usr/local, or...?

# 	The first idea cam up with would be to check for a directory
# 	in SunOS.pkg.dist (eg 'libexec/cgi-bin') - if it is present
# 	in /usr/local and not in /usr/pkg then give the warning and
# 	exit.

I may be misunderstanding this, but FORCING it to live in /usr/pkg or
just die just seems really wrong to me, if that's what you're proposing.
I actually go out of my way to make sure that LOCALBASE *is* /usr/local
because I don't relish the idea of maintaining a fourth hierarchy,
not to mention I don't want to extend my path.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: More Nines.