Subject: Re: update pkgsrc package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/16/2001 11:08:59
On Wed, 16 May 2001, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	'make update' rebuilds all the dependencies, this has a number of
> 	issues:

> 	    d) If you pick a suboptimal order you can end up rebuilding
> 	       much of your system several times. Pick the package on
> 	       which most other packages depend first.
>
> 	    e) Sometimes there is no optimal order - eg, half your system
> 	       depends on pkg 'a' and pkg 'b', but they do not depend on
> 	       each other. So you end up rebuilding everything twice. Of

How hard would it be to implement a "smart-update" target?

Basically, "smart-update" would check its dependencies' (and their
dependencies') versions (installed versus pkgsrc); only if different then
deinstall. If it is ran in a pkgsrc directory already up-to-date, then it
will say so.

Any ideas? (Anything I should look at in bsd.pkg.mk before I try
implementing this?)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/