Subject: slow gnome dependancy check
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/15/2001 20:19:32
Hi,

I've been trying to use the x11/gnome packages with make package and was
wondering if anyone else had found gnome really really slow to do the
===> Validating dependencies for gnome-1.4.0.1

part (currently it's spent 9 hours and no change, and top and sysstat show
it's doing something.)

This is on a 1.5.1_BETA2 CATS arm32 box, using an NFS mount for the pkgsrc
dir.  (It also seems to take forever on my i386 box as well (no idea how
long, I needed to do something else with that box))

pkgsrc is synced to the tagged 1.5.1 version.

Is this just due to the sheer number of recursions needed?  (looking at my ps
list it's wrapped the pid counter, and is checking gnome-chess, and all it's
dependancies (which checks gnome-core, which has already been checked *sigh*))

Cheers,
Chris