Subject: Re: pkgsrc rc.d scripts
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/14/2001 16:33:43
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:

> On Mon, 14 May 2001, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> [snip]
> > 	My question is basically whether I should be changing the
> > pgsql.sh script (and other scripts in pkgsrc) to look like the smbd.sh
> > script, or the other way around.
>
> For my answer, take a look at www/wwwoffle. I added a new rc.d style
> script, left the old one alone, and added a MESSAGE file explaining
> which one to use, and what to do with them.

In the case of wwwoffle, the two scripts can be merged in the same
simple way that smbd.sh is written.  Then we wouldn't need two files
to be installed.

So my question still stands...which way do we prefer: standalone rc.d
scripts or ones that use /etc/rc.subr?

	Cheers,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/